Sunday, March 25, 2012

How to Become an Artist

I think for any creative person motivation is one of the biggest obstacles. When I was in high school I took three art classes and one of those being an independent study. The thing was that I wasn't devoted to becoming better every day... I've always had plenty of ideas just not the drive. As I've aged I've realized that there is many factors that hindered my progress.

1. Lack of confidence -- not only with art but in life because it translates from life to art.

2. A frustration when things don't come easily or turn out the way we intend -- It's cliche but you have to roll with the punches, many times the accidents are where you discover new things so, you must accept that accidents are a large part of continual growth.

3. A fear of failure and success -- I've always known I've had a fear of failure, no one likes to bomb and art is a pretty personal expression so, it can be taken as a personal insult. I hate to say it and I've always disliked this attitude in other people but, you need to just not give a shit what people think. This being said I'm not a motivational speaker and I don't want to barf out cliches and then say "Now go out and become famous and successful". I just believe any action or idea that you are deathly afraid of is the right direction to move in and will become lead to your most creative times.

4. Be Positive -- Another wonderfully mundane point but, let's be honest not even in a hippy-ish, blue crystal, chakra, we are all connected, type of way rather in a realistic way. People want to be around happy positive people... everyone has been around a person who is negative and can make any situation miserable. If you are somewhat sane you avoid those type of people. So, in a practical sense be positive, more people will want to be around you and, in turn you will have more opportunities.

That's enough from the Willy Robbins motivational speaker in me. I will admit and I can only be honest about this, that I am not super successful as an artist yet. I only wrote this post because, shit, I wish people had told me this when I was growing up. Basically that someone had told me to quit being a pussy, people will like your art if you just devote yourself to it and rip it up with confidence. So, go out now and become an artist I seriously wish you the best and hope you succeed, good luck.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=William_M_Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List